We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Some Recommended Reading


I have come across a few articles in the past few weeks which I think are very good - good enough to recommend to my readers as articles worth your while.

Let’s start with this one from Steve Bricker at “What Accords With Sound Doctrine.”  Using teachings from Tertullian, Steve examines a result of not properly understanding Scripture - a type of idolatry caused by bringing insult or disgrace to God.  And just how do Christians do this?  “The desire to enter into the world's realm in order to befriend their worldview and customs for the sake of the gospel is not what the apostle Paul intended when he said ‘I become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some’ (1 Cor 9:22).  Yet too often Christians believe this is necessary, and actually bring condemnation on the faith.  Steve also points out that even our speech can bring disgrace upon our Lord. 

One of my favorite blogs is one I found fairly recently.  Posted by Jon Gleason over in Scotland, Mine Renewers is well-worth following.  The particular article I want to direct you to is about why words matter when it comes to discussing “having sex.”

John Piper is a man I don’t give blanket recommendations for.  Although he has some excellent teachings, he has especially in more recent years tended to come up with some really questionable stuff, such as praying that God would help in the selection of a new Pope, endorsing the Passion 2013 conference, supporting a contemplative/emergent author, teaching Lectio Divina, and claims of direct revelation from God. So one has to be very careful with Piper’s teachings (especially if you are a non-Calvinist because he is a 5-pointer).  That being said, he had an excellent article about what should happen if someone in a same-sex fake marriage repents.

Finally, Kevin DeYoung has a good, short article with responses to some of the more common arguments defending homosexuality against the Christian faith and the Bible.

6 comments:

Jon Gleason said...

Hello, Glenn. Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate your blog, too.

Steve Bricker said...

Glenn, thank you for commending my post.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Jon and Steve,

You both have lots to commend; I enjoy reading and learning from you both. There are blogs I save only in my "bookmarks" for reference use, and then there are those like yours which I view daily. I never cease to learn something new!

Ron Livesay said...

I had not come across Steve Bricker's blog before. Thanks.

Ron Livesay said...

The same goes for Jon Gleason's blog. Thanks again.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Steve and I live in the same area, and used to attend the same church - neither of us attend it now. He went off and got educated :oD, which is why he's got such good stuff.