We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Are YOU Soft On False Teaching?


Too often I am told that it is not my business to expose false teaching, and this happens even in the Church!  The story keeps being told that it is more important to just preach the truth and, if they learn the truth, then they will recognize the errors.  If that was so, then there wouldn’t be the thousands of followers of Joel Osteen and Benny Hinn, and others of their ilk.  Our church teaches the truth all the time, yet our members still walk around with Joel Osteen books, courses by Beth Moore, believing the teachings of “deliverance” ministries, and even practicing strategic level spiritual warfare.  If I see this stuff in my church, why don’t the pastors?  I know they do, but I also know that they really don’t want to step on toes or else they don’t think it is important enough to expose from the pulpit.

The early Church leaders weren’t so “tolerant” of such teachings.  Even Paul said those who teach a false Christ or false Gospel should be eternally condemned (Gal.1: 8-9; 2 Cor. 11:1-15).  I have in the past cited the words of ante-Nicene fathers who were outspoken against false teachers, as well as citations from others since (posts under the label “Discernment”).  And yet I still hear from those who say it just isn’t right to “judge” other believers!

Well, I’m certainly not judging the believers - I am judging their teachings!  And that is what ALL believers should be doing.

All this is to lead up to an excellent citation I read this week, by Martin Luther:
“I am not permitted to let my love be so merciful as to tolerate and endure false doctrine.  When faith and doctrine are concerned and endangered, neither love nor patience are in order...when these are concerned, neither toleration nor mercy are in order, but only anger, dispute, and destruction - to be sure, only with the Word of God as our weapon.”

This citation was followed by one from James White’s book, The God Who Justifies:
“A false gospel cannot save, it cannot redeem. To ensnare someone in a false gospel is to commit eternal murder.  Ironically, many today preach a false gospel simply out of a desire not to offend anyone.  They water down the strong teaching of God’s wrath or man’s sinfulness out of a concern (so they say) to be at peace with people, to not drive them away.  Do they not know that by so doing they are condemning the very people they claim to wish to save?”

(citations taken from Mormonism Researched, July-August 2013.  M.R. is the newsletter of Mormonism Research Ministry.)

7 comments:

ali said...

What use is it to say "I heard a preacher who taught error and.... but fail to give the pastor or teacher' name. That helps no one!!

The sheep must be warned to stay away from the wolves - as watchmen, that is what we must do.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Ali,

I agree 100%, which is why that has been my complaint in many previous articles. If we don't name names, then the wolves just keep on eating the sheep.

ali said...


Glenn -In an effort to be accepting of others, "judge not" we have remained silent far too long.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

The idea of "judge not" (abused and twisted beyond biblical identity) is exactly why everyone is afraid to expose false teachings. A real shame, isn't it?
And here is a perfect example of a young lady tearfully saying the preacher is too mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mACbV4xweHE

Luciana DeVito said...

I lose more Christian friends online over exposing the false teachers than anything else. But I also make many more by people sharing one public picture in which I discuss it. We must warn the sheep who have less discernment. Whether they choose to follow a false teacher after that is their decision.

Brad Wise said...

Glenn,

I just found your blog after seeing your comments on Elizabeth Prata's blog about Rachel Held Evans. Great post. You have a new follower now.

Brad
Birmingham, AL

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Hi Brad,
Welcome aboard! :oD

Thanks for taking a look at my blog. I hope I don't disappoint you.